As many of you know we are finished with the edit of Troubled Waters. Being finished with the edit doesn’t mean however we are finished with the postproduction and ready to release the film.
We’ve had countless people give time and money to make Troubled Water’s into what it has become and what we feel it will become. In order to do that, it takes a lot of time and resources of highly professional people.
So, what do we have left one might ask. You have it edited don’t you?
Well, in order to answer that I will need to answer first where we are with the process.
Where are we?
We’ve assembled a feature film that is 74 minutes long from over 110 hours of footage filmed over six years. The hard part of developing the script, doing the rough cut, and refining the cut down to a feature is finished.
The film is at a place where we are able to screen it for people and send it out to festivals. It isn’t however in a place where it is ready to show it theatrically or send out professional Blueray DVD’s to donors. If we get into a festival we will have a lot to get finished before we can meet the standards to be able to screen it professionally.
So, that leads to the answer of our original question.
What do we have left to finish in order to have a complete film?
It’s time break out the bullet points:
- COLOR CORRECTION/HD UPREZ -TOTAL COST: $10,000: The biggest item, which takes the most expertise and more expensive equipment is the color correction and HD Uprez – this will give the film a beautiful look and allow us to screen it in HD and make Bluray DVD’s.The company we will be using is Modern Digital out of Seattle, WA A lot of people have a hard time grasping what color correction does for a film for a sample of what color correction does for a film(especially a doc) see this:
- SOUND DESIGN: – TOTAL COST – $3,500: After we do the initial color correction we will need to do the final sound mix. This is taking all the dialogue bit by bit, all the music, and all the other ambient sounds and mixing it together, adding sounds, enhancing sounds, and creating a full soundscape and final 5.1 surround sound and stereo mix. The good thing is we have been given the money for this process but the bad thing is we have to do the color correction first, so until we have the money for color we can’t finish the sound. The sound designer we will be using is based out of Wilmington, NC check out his credentials:http://www.audiokitchenpost.com/head_chef.html
- FINAL SUBTITLES – TOTAL COST: $1,450: The last step in our process is the final subtitles. We will be formatting our Spanish to English subtitles in the right file format and creating new subtitles that go from English to Spanish. We have partnered with a company out of New York, Video Caps – http://www.vicaps.com/ – they are giving us a special rate due to the nature of our film and another arrangement we have made with them.
- GRAND TOTAL NEEDED (to finish the film’s post production): $11,450
So, what are we going to do once we have it finished?
- Release the film through international and national festivals gaining exposure for the film, press, and targeting an audience of filmmakers, producers, and gatekeepers to the distribution industry.
- We want to self release the film in Argentina and do a 24 city tour over three months targeting geographic areas that have water issues and invite city leaders to take part in a problem solving forum after the film. We could repeat this in other parts of the world where there are water issues if we find the funding.
- Release the film on television in The United States, Europe, and Latin America.
- We want to do all of this in order the share what we feel is an important story that is uplifting and could be life changing.
- We want also to be able to produce a level of success with the film that we can measure with real water filtration systems installed and communities finding solutions to their water contamination. 50% of Billy Hill Production’s net profits from the television sales and DVD sales of the film will go towards funding water projects.
Why am I writing all of this?
Because if I’m honest, I’m at the end of my rope right now. Over the last six years it has taken a lot of perseverance and hope to finish this film. We’ve done online campaigns, met with donors, and sold merchandise to raise money. I am shocked and amazed that we’ve gotten this far and at the generosity of the people around me, but right now, I have no idea how to get over this last hump and find the funds to finish the film.
I need someone who can come on board and help us find the provision to do what we need to do with this film. In other words I need your help. If there is anyone out there who is good at fundraising, has the time, perseverance, and vision to do an event, campaign, or anything to help us finish the film, we need you. This film is more than a film, we hope it is a source of good in this world. I don’t say that out of hyperbole either; it is a real thing, a real source of good to help change people’s lives.
Email, call, text me, let me know if you have an idea, want to give the whole amount, or want to organize an event to raise money for the film. Right now, as the director of this six year saga, I need your help, now, more than ever.